8 ounces capellini pasta
1 lb large shrimp peeled, deveined, tails removed (about 30-35 shrimp)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
1 cup vermouth or dry white wine
2 cups tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
coarse salt, fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta al dente in salted water according to package directions. Drain,reserving4 tablespoons of cooking water.
2. Toss shrimp in medium bowl with the salt and crushed red pepper; set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. add shrimp, stirring frequently until the shrimp just turns opaque, about 2 minutes. remove from pan and set aside.
4. Reduce heat to medium low. add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent. add garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
5. Pour in vermouth or white wine, stirring and scraping bottom of the pan. cook for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is mostly reduced.
6. Reduce heat to low. add tomato sauce and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. add oregano and basil, cooked shrimp, and reserved pasta water. cook for 2 minutes. season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Toss with pasta and serve immediately.