Last Updated on
1 pint heavy cream
6 oz. whole milk
12 oz. (1 1/2 cups) granulated sugar
12 oz. (15 eggs) egg yolks
2 teaspoons maple extract
1. Heat heavy cream, whole milk and granulated sugar over double boiler until sugar is dissolved (110F). DO NOT WHIP. Stir only.
2. Place in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add 1/3 of cream mixture to egg yolks, stirring to temper egg yolks.
3. Add remaining cream mixture. Stir to blend well.
4. Add maple extract to previous mixture.
5. Strain mixture through fine mesh strainer.
6. Pour mixture into serving dishes that have been place into two cake pans. Add enough water in the bottom of each cake pan to fill 1/4 the way up the serving dishes.
7. Bake in a low oven — 275 degrees — for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The desserts should be “set” firm but not hard, with a little wiggle when you shake it gently.
8. Sprinkle cooled custards with sugar and melt with a torch.
READER’S NOTE: Mary Ann Devine — My custards were set after 1 1/2 hours. I also then used the 15 egg whites to make an angel food cake from scratch – very easy!