Last Updated on
Savory Smoked Pulled Pork from the Whispering Canyon Cafe at Walt Disney World’s Wilderness resort is amazing! You will love this western recipe from Disney!
The Mountains Are Calling
Have you heard the term, “The Mountains Are Calling”? If you say that to a Walt Disney World lover they will know that means the mountains of:
- Space Mountain
- Thunder Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Expedition Everest
Those are the Disney Mountains. However, The mountains are calling is also a term for out west. The Rocky Mountains to be exact.
Not everyone can travel to the Rocky Mountains. Not everyone can see a geyser erupt. So Disney created the Wilderness Lodge. You get that mountain experience in central Florida.
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge is more than this mountain retreat. As soon as you step into this you see that this Disney resort features both natural and Native American elements. An artificial geyser and hot springs are located on the resort grounds.
Whispering Canyon Cafe
￼The Whispering Canyon Cafe was once filled with hootin’ and hollerin’, brought about and encouraged by the wacky hijinks of the serving staff. The term “I need Ketchup” was a tradition where servers would rush over give you bottle after bottle of ketchup. You have as many as 8 bottles of ketchup on your table.
Then there were the horse races at Whispering Canyon Cafe. Children would run around on horses on sticks. The horse races and ketchup antic is what made for the rowdiness of Wilderness Lodge Whispering Canyon Cafe.
Those antics are no more. The servers at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge no longer can do these hijinks. Guests who wanted a quieter meal complained and Walt Disney World complied to the complaints.
Smoked Pulled Pork
So the hijinks of the wait staff at Disney’s Whispering Canyon Cafe May have toned down considerably, but one thing has not changed at this Disney Dining option. That is a rustic, smoked menu. One of the best items is the Smoked Pulled Pork.
The Whispering Canyon Cafe serves up some of the best smoked meats. The smoked pulled pork is one of those wonderful smoked meats you can get in this Disney wilderness resort.
Check out these recipes from Wilderness Lodge:
Savory Smoked Pulled Pork from the Whispering Canyon Cafe at Walt Disney World's Wilderness resort is amazing!
Rub Mix Ingredients (for 3 to 5 lb. Pork Butt Roast)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoons Black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Celery Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Fresh Thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Rub the pork roast generously with the rub mix.
- Let the pork roast stand for 12 to 14 hours, in the refrigerator, before cooking.
Smoking on Your Grill:
(This procedure is adaptable for both charcoal and gas grills)
- Any wood chips of your choice will do.
- Soak 2 cups of wood chips in water at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Drain wood chips thoroughly and place in the center of a piece of aluminum foil.
- Fold foil securely to form a square pouch. Poke holes on one side for the smoke to escape.
- For charcoal grills, place the coals to one side of your grill, light and wait until the coals start to show a light layer of white ash.
- For gas grills, preheat one side of your grill.
- Place pouch of wood chips directly on coals or lava rocks with the holes facing up. If you are using a gas grill, turn down to low at this point.
- Place items to be smoked on cold side of grill. Depending on the size of your grilling rack, you may need to place items on a piece of aluminum foil.
- Season with salt and pepper and /or your favorite spice combination.
- Close the lid on your grill and relax.
- Depending on the size of your items and the heat of your grill, the cook times may vary. Expect at least 2 to 6 hours of cook time.
- When the items are done to your liking, they should have a nice internal smoke ring.
- At this time, you may brush the items with your favorite sauce.
- Disposing of the wood chip pouch should be done with caution. Since the wood chips may still be smoldering, it would be advisable to submerse the pouch with water.
Disney uses a combination of cherry, apple and hickory wood chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 3502mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 34g Protein: 1g
Looking for more info on the Wilderness Lodge? Check out these blog posts:
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Review From The Disney Tourist Blog
- 6 Reasons to Stay at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge From The Mickey Blog
Looking for a fun Disney T-Shirt? Check out my Etsy Shop!Etsy Shop: API reponse should be HTTP 200
API Error Description: Invalid api_key: ceqzzre6wjr5otr8pdm72fze